Unreal, is how I would describe this medieval village on the French Rivieria. It deserves some special attention. I had read up on Eze village while I was looking at the interesting places to visit around the area (though the very best thing to do may be just sitting on the beach in Nice), and I couldn't wait to visit the place. It came as a surprise that none of my friends were aware of this place. Eze village was an easy 30 minutes bus ride (bus 82) from the Vauban tram stop pinpointed as location 'A' below.

The village was small, but we took our time to slowly walk through the place as we really loved it. I think we spent at least 4 hours checking out the area. So we went to the bus stop where we alighted to catch the bus to Monaco. You could catch the same bus 82 back to Nice from a stop down the hill close to a bridge. Our next stop was Monaco, so we checked the timetables for the buses (number 100 or 112) and turned out that we had just missed the buses and the next ones were only coming in about an hour or so. While it meant that we had lesser time to spend in Monaco, we were also glad that we got to spend more time here, so we just sat on the perch near the entrance and enjoyed our remaining time there.
Fun fact: Did you know there used to be a property tax (window tax) based on the number of windows in a house that people had? So the people then covered up their windows and painted it over. Check out the photo below!
Interesting piece of history we overheard from a tour guide nearby!
I can never get enough of this place!
YJ
No comments:
Post a Comment